pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New 0.138 version on Pan ppa

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New 0.138 version on Pan ppa
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:26:14 +0000 (UTC)

Bob posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:26:34 +0000 as excerpted:

> Re-installed the 0.138 from the ppa.  I must have been thinking of 0.137
> when I said what I did about the servers.  0.138 is not set up for SSL,
> and I wish that information would be posted somewhere before an upgrade
> is attempted.
>
> Sorry for waste of bandwidth.

It's a build option, and whoever provided the PPA must not have enabled
it.

FWIW, SSL/TLS support is working in general, but being newer code, it
lacks the time and extremely broad usage tested reliability of the plain-
text connection code.  There have been some issues with it including one
report resolved just before 0.138, I believe.  So 0.138 is AFAIK free of
known SSL bugs, but it's still quite possible some provider with corner-
case behavior somewhere will trip it up, while an unencrypted connection
is at least in theory far more tested and should be long trouble-free by
now.

So yeah, glad you figured out the issue and got it working, but
meanwhile, even for those with enabled SSL builds, I'd suggest either
trying plain-text connections if there's problems, or simply sticking
with plain-text connections entirely for the time being, if you just want
the most trouble-free connection possible.  Of course for those who have
specific reason to want/need SSL (ISP interference or suspicion of ISP
tracking), it's good that pan is getting the feature, but it's still new
enough that people who don't really care about it might be best served
just using plain text, avoiding any problems with SSL entirely.