pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Latest HOTFIX commit fails to compile

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Latest HOTFIX commit fails to compile
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:09:38 -0800

On 01/16/2013 10:22 AM, Zan Lynx wrote:
> I haven't looked at this code

I've looked at little else for the last two days while trying to understand it
:)
I'm just an amateur programmer but I've done small projects with several other
programming languages, but c++ makes me feel completely stupid and I *hate*
that :(

> Using "static" on a global variable in a .h file can result in
> independent unlinked copies in each .c or .cpp file that uses it.
> "static" at file scope means that variable exists only for that one
> file.

You say "can result", not "will result".  Does the actual result depend on the
definition of the c++ language itself, or at the discretion of the compiler
writers?  Do you think the "average" c++ programmer knows the answer to this
question?  I'm thinking probably not, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm
wrong.  I've set out to understand c++ at least four times over the years
and I've quit trying just as many times.  I think this is my fifth try and
I haven't given up yet.....

Thanks for any wisdom you care to pass along :)