pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139: No message bodies appearing when clicking on

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139: No message bodies appearing when clicking on header line
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:11:16 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:13:52 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:37:36 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> does the event log show anything interesting?
>
> Ah, yes it does!
> For several items in April, for example, it shows "...the (Gmane) server
> does not have the part..."
>
> The odd thing is it's not consistent. Many items in April are fetchable,
> many are not.
> That sort of thing makes me feel uncomfortable...

Gmane.  Why didn't you say so?! =:^)

That's actually testable here, if you don't mind posting the group name
and overview details (subject/author/date/time/etc) for something you're
seeing as missing.

And we can continue the discussion either here or in the gmane.discuss
group, if you prefer.

I've seen a few obvious spams not show up, but nothing major.  And they
normally archive, so in general once it's there, it's there.  However, I
know gmane has occasional hiccups from time to time.  Looking in
gmane.discuss, I see a thread about a problem in early April (6-8ish) and
again in early May (8-ish, but that was only SSL related AFAICT), but
nothing other than that.

Also, and this could well be it especially on some lists, if the poster
sets the x-no-archive header (or first line of the message, for those who
don't have clients that allow customized headers), AFAIK gmane DOES honor
that and delete the message at some point (maybe 30 days? haven't looked
up the details in awhile), so you can check a newer post from the same
person and see if perhaps they set that header, which would explain
things.