pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Is there a way to remap the "Pan File->Send Article" Con

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Is there a way to remap the "Pan File->Send Article" Control+Return hotkey?
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 10:18:25 +0000 (UTC)

Steven D'Aprano posted on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:16:31 +1000 as excerpted:

> On 14/07/13 19:02, Duncan wrote:
>>
>> Meanwhile, I noted today that both claws-mail and whatever they're
>> using at work (maybe thunderbird or part of libre-office, I'm not
>> actually sure, but the platform is a customized SLED, SuSE Linux
>> Enterprise Desktop) have ctrl-enter as the send-now hotkey, so it's
>> apparently reasonably standardized
>
> If they had standardized Ctrl-Enter for "stab the user in the eye with a
> red-hot scalpel", would we follow them?
>
> I *hate* Ctrl-Enter as send-now. I don't think there even should be a
> send-now hotkey.

<shrug> But they didn't.  Send-now is a perfectly logical and very
commonly used function, and the existence of that hotkey has never
bothered me, or it would seem, the majority of users.

And without a hotkey, what are keyboard-only users supposed to do?  It's
supposed to be reasonably easy to use without a mouse as well, and the
whole alt-f, s, sequence is a bit long for a commonly used function such
as setting mail.

That said, I understand the feeling.  The default white/light background
with dark text, in most cases with a widget color theme of sickening (to
me very nearly literally) gray on gray, is to me about the worst possible
combination I could think of, with reading dark text on a searing white
background making me want to stab my eyes out, yet it's apparently what
most people find normal and expect.

So I've come to generally ignore most (kde for example) update preview
articles, since the colors are normally so horrible for me that even
though I know they're easily changed, I can't simply ignore them even
long enough to evaluate at all what the new feature is like.

And about the first thing I do with a new installation is customize the
color theme to something reasonably (for me) light on dark, instead of
dark on light, and with much more color than seems to be the norm, as
well.

And for the web, I do still want to see color, so I actually run privoxy
as a color-rewriting (among other things, but this is the main reason I
use it) web proxy, with a complex set of rules developed over quite some
time that generally keeps the same base colors, but makes light
backgrounds far darker, and dark text far lighter.  (The biggest problem
now is that more and more sites are defaulting to https, good for
security, but that means privoxy can't do its color-rewriting thing,
unfortunately.)

So the "stab the user in the eye with a red-hot scalpel" feeling is
something I can certainly empathize with, even if the trigger here is
something far different than it is for you.

Luckily, in both cases there's usually enough customization available
(and where there's not, there's generally other, more customizable
options, available) to work around the affliction for those that suffer
it. =:^)