pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moving...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moving...
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 06:26:27 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson posted on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 17:11:58 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 09:33:57 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson posted on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 18:05:39 +0000 as excerpted:

>>> Good luck with your move - we've just moved in to our new place this
>>> past weekend after ~3 months in a temporary place ourselves[.]
>>> The second move was much easier, since we unpacked only what we needed
>>> - but living out of boxes isn't a lot of fun.
>>
>> Obviously I finally got everything reattached and up and running at the
>> hotel.  [Y]es, the second move should be easier.  The two big problems
>> with the first were, (1) I've been in the same place for about 15
>> years, so had accumulated...
>> (2) I was in a trailer, which I had pulled behind me the last couple
>> times I moved, so didn't have the normal thinning out of stuff by
>> throwing a bunch away at the move, those times.  Really, the last time
>> I went thru everything in a move was the late 80s, tho I had gone thru
>> some of it over the years.  But I threw a bunch of stuff out in the
>> first move this time, and after sorting a bit more will be throwing out
>> a bit more, incrementally anyway.  So I'm traveling /much/ lighter,
>> now.  =:^)
>
> That's impressive - it took us the better part of 4 years to go through
> all of our stuff before our first move 2 years ago.  We went from 3000
> sq. ft. on two floors to 1200.  The second was to our temporary place,
> and we've just finished the third (everything's unpacked, and we're just
> rehoming the empty boxes and packing material).

Wow!  Part of the difference there is the size of the place.

For good or bad, the trailer was small enough to make physically
impossible accumulating beyond a certain point, tho I did have a small
shed as well.  It was just me, not me and a significant other, which
makes a difference, but still, it was under 500 sq ft.  So I really /did/
have a physical limit to the accumulation, which after a point, forced me
to go thru and throw out /something/ old if I wanted to fit the new.  And
to fit multiple big monitors (see below), I had to throw out some stuff.

So that's how I could go thru literally /everything/ in only a few days,
say half a week, tho on moving day I kind of gave up and there's a couple
boxes of only quick-sorted, throw out the biggest and most obvious
garbage and sort the rest later.

I don't have the specific offer from the city on the trailer yet, but
the ballpark figures I've gotten so far indicate it should be an upgrade,
perhaps a healthier one than I might have imagined.  We'll see, but time
is counting down on the 90 day hotel now, and I expect to know
substantially more by the end of the week just now starting.

> Welcome back!  I know the feeling about needing to get everything hooked
> back up - I was almost a week without reliable Internet access here, and
> I need to get cell coverage sorted (I have a hotspot, but GPS reception
> here is terrible, and it reports it is in the wrong location,
> apparently).

Part of the situation and hookup problem was the fact that I'm actually
running triple monitor, all three full-HD 1920x1080, and the fact that
two of them are actually big-screen TVs, a 42" and a 48" (which is newer
and only slightly larger than the 42" as it has much smaller bezels).  Of
course I /could/ have redone the desktop to limit to one, and plugged
into the hotel TV's HDMI port, but it's "only" a 32" or so...  The full
size desktop on the full size monitors is /so/ much nicer to work with,
and I would have /hated/ to be limited to that, knowing the big ones were
in storage.  So I had them go to the hotel, at first figuring I'd have to
mount them to a couple 2x4s stood up as poles so as to avoid holes in the
walls from mounting them.  (Hotels don't like holes in the walls!)

Then I decided that while in the trailer I had the two big ones mounted
"stacked" (with the third small one logically stacked as well, but
physically off to the side), in the hotel I could set them up side by
side on the (long) dresser.

But then I found out the TV was bolted down and while I could have
unbolted it, I didn't want to give the hotel reason to complain, so...

I found a suitcase stand folded up in the closet.  It's now on top of the
dresser, with the big 48" sat on it (on its original stand, which I kept
even tho I had it wall-mounted), and the 42" in front of the suitcase
stand, on a drawer that's open just far enough to hold the 42", keeping
it down the three or so inches that it is taller than the suitcase stand,
so it's not obscuring either the bottom of the 48" display behind and
above it or the left edge of the hotel TV, still bolted to the dresser to
the right and back from the 42".

The "small" 21" is still physically off to the side, just as it was at
the trailer, tho now it's on the other side.  It's sitting on a chair, or
rather, on the back of the 5.1 tuner/amp that I also brought from the
trailer, that is actually sitting on the chair.  Tho I haven't hooked up
and turned on the 5.1 yet, as it has ventilation openings on the bottom
that are directly on the chair seat ATM, that I need to figure out how to
unobstruct before I try to use the 5.1.

All this at the foot of my big hotel double bed...

Then there's the VoIP phone adapter as well as the computer, both
connected via Ethernet to the old Linksys wrt54gl that's running openwrt,
with the wireless turned off so it's just functioning as an Ethernet
router and firewall between the LAN and the WAN/internet.  Its WAN used
to connect to the cable modem back in my trailer.  Now it connects to the
wifi adapter.

So quite a project connecting all that...