pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moving...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moving...
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 05:11:37 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 09:33:57 +0000 as excerpted:

> Obviously I finally got everything reattached and up and running at the
> hotel.  I don't know what speeds I get on the wifi yet, but it's good
> for this.

OK, off tomorrow, first day off since the move, and just finished setting
up the 5.1 surround-sound and firing up the computer to test it (which
I've not done yet), and decided I needed /some/ idea of my speeds.

Turns out, at the complimentary wifi level, at least ATM, I'm getting
~1.3 Mbps down and 1.0 Mbps up.  Tho I suspect it's prioritized under
anyone at the paid level (FWIW, $5/day), so I might get zero if they
start heavy-using it.

Not /too/ shabby; reasonable enough for complimentary, I suppose.

OK, trying some youtube streaming, testing streaming and the 5.1 both.
Obviously won't be doing much 1080p, but 360p looks reasonable and stays
safely w/i the 1 Mbit envelop.  480p triggers repeated buffering, tho...

Looks like I'm going to have to setup some sort of wifi keep-alive ping
or something, tho, as otherwise it goes to sleep when there's no
activity, and that kills the VoIP dialtone, which IIRC I got once when I
first setup so it should be possible, but I haven't heard it since.
Since it's thru the wrt54gl running openwrt, however, I should be able to
set that up on the router...