pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New pan (again)

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New pan (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 02:01:15 +0000 (UTC)

Dieter Britz posted on Sun, 08 Jul 2018 15:46:35 +0200 as excerpted:

> Once again I have a new laptop and have installed pan. The first time I
> opened it I got a window asking me to register. I did that, hopefully
> correctly (eternal-september.ord, my name and password)

If you didn't simply typo putting it in above, that's almost certainly
wrong.  I don't use eternal-september, but "ord" is either an invalid TLD
(top-level-domain) or a new and extremely uncommon one.  I'm guessing
eternal-september.org (g not d).

... And indeed, mick's reply says as much, listing it as
news.eternal-september.org

> and then I got the pan window, of course with no ng's yet. But it seems
> I can't get any ng's either. When I type into the top window, for
> example. alt.usage.english, which I know is an ng, nothing happens.
>
> I might have done something wrong in the registration; so how can I go
> back to that? I expected to find something under File, but don't.
>
> A second question: is it possible to import a list of ng's from another
> PC? I have pan working on the old laptop and have accumulated a longish
> list, which I would like to copy into this version of pan - just as I
> can import bookmarks into a new Firefox installation.

As Detlef and Zan say, pan's files are normally located in ~/.pan2/, on a
Linux/Unix-based system.  I've no idea beyond what Zan said about MS as I
left it behind when I left servantware (see the sig) behind at the turn
of the century and stay well away from it these days, but there are a
couple other MS users here that may or may not have information on it if
you need it.

Meanwhile, ~/.pan2/ is simply the default if $PAN_HOME isn't set.  You
can set that variable to point elsewhere if you like.  I exploit this
fact here with a pan wrapper script to allow me to run multiple pan
profiles, bin, text, test, each with their own cache and settings (but
using symlinks to a global settings dir for things like the score and
hotkeys files).  So if the PAN_HOME var is set and exported in the
environment pan inherits, look in that location instead of in the default
~/.pan2/ dir.

In that dir there's various files controlling various settings, newsgroup
subscriptions and read-message tracking, etc, along with the TLS
certificate store if you're using a secure connection, the message cache,
etc.  But if you're just upgrading your computer and just want to
continue where you left off with the old one, probably just copying the
whole thing over as-is, is simplest.