pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and gtkspell

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and gtkspell
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 07:41:46 +0000 (UTC)

arnuld posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:57:46 +0530 as excerpted:

> I downloaded both 0.145 and Git  version but Pan always refuses to build
> itself with gtkspell. I wonder why:
>
> address@hidden pan-0.145]$ ./configure --with-gtkspell --with-gtk3
> --enable-libnotify --with-gnutls --with-gmime-crypto
>
> Configuration:
>
>         Prefix:                 /usr/local
>         Source code location:   .
>         Compiler:               g++
>         With D-Bus:             no
>         With GMime 3.0:         no
>         With GMime crypto:      yes
>         With GtkSpell:          no
>         With GTK+ 3:            yes >= 3.0.0
>         With WebKitGTK+:        no
>         With GnuTLS:            yes (3.5.19)
>         With libnotify:         yes
>         With password storage:  no
>         With yelp-tools:        yes
>         With user manual:       no
>

> I am using Arch Linux and gtkspell is installed:
>
> address@hidden ~]# pacman -Ss gtkspell extra/gtkspell 2.0.16-7 [installed]
>     Provides word-processor-style highlighting and replacement of
> misspelled words in a GtkTextView widget
>
> community/gtkspell3 3.0.9-3 [installed]g/
>     Provides word-processor-style highlighting and replacement of
> misspelled words in a GtkTextView widget
>
> community/python-gtkspellcheck 4.0.5-5 [installed]
>     Spell-checking library written in Python for Gtk based on Enchant
>
> community/python2-gtkspellcheck 4.0.5-5
>     Spell-checking library written in Python for Gtk based on Enchant
> address@hidden ~]#

You might try building against gtk2, and/or install enchant if it's not
installed.

Here on gentoo, pan is built --without-gtk3 so against gtk2 (for a long
time gtk3 was half broken and the official recommendation was building
against gtk2, should be fixed now AFAIK but that's why many distros still
build against gtk2), and USE=spell additionally requires >=enchant-1.6
and >=gtkspell-2.0.7:2 (so the 2.x slot, not 3.x), and I have
enchant-1.6.1 and gtkspell-2.0.16 installed, with pan building against
them and spellcheck working. =:^)

As for troubleshooting, in addition to the .configure output summary as
posted above, you should have a configure.log (or similar, maybe
config.log) after the configure step.  That will give you a LOT more
detail, including what exactly it tested and why it decided gtkspell
wasn't usable, along with the exact line numbers from the .configure
script, so you can check (and post if necessary) the specific commands it
ran along with the results.  When it's a problem with .configure, that
very often pins it right down for me, enough to either fix the problem
myself or file a good (gentoo) bug reporting the problem, so they can fix
it.