pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan and gtkspell

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan and gtkspell
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 03:06:21 +0000 (UTC)

arnuld posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2018 13:07:45 +0530 as excerpted:

> Oh man.. these bugs,  I once built LFS
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_From_Scratch)  and later I built
> mane packages on SOURCEMAGE and then for many months I used Gentoo. I
> left building from source because of the (computation time + CPU Life +
> my time)  it takes. Arch I found to be what I wanted.

It really is great to find your distro match... "home" for you! =:^)

Mine is gentoo -- I really like the control, including being able to run
all my kde/plasma as well as pan as live-git, and being able to, when
necessary, simply drop a patch I want to apply in the appropriate dir and
have it automatically applied to every update I build... a feature I
actively take advantage of for a number of packages.  Similarly, for
awhile gentoo/kde decided they were going to drop the USE=symantic-
desktop flag that let users build kde without the symantic-desktop
components, and I quickly scripted up a solution that let me apply
patches to the ebuilds themselves, just by dropping them in the
appropriate dir.

And of course with modern hardware, builds don't take /that/ long, and
you can do other stuff while the build is ongoing.

But meanwhile, in discussions of this nature I've often put distros on a
continuum from binary to manual-build-from-scratch, with LFS at the far
end, gentoo being a bit closer to binary as it's build-from-sources, with
most of the same options exposed, but with automated scripts managing
dependencies and automating most of the work, then arch, which still
allows easy from-source and a lot of direct control missing on most of
the binary distros, but with a binary core and optional user-contributed
AUR-builds for non-core, to all the binary distros.

And for those who like more control than most of the binary distros give
but just don't want to deal with building /everything/ from source, even
if it's automated as it is in gentoo, arch is very likely that perfect
match, just as gentoo is for me, building from source, but script-
automated.

And because gentoo really /is/ such a good match for me, I really /do/
appreciate what a relief it is to finally find that sort of perfect
match, and am really glad you seem to have found it for yourself in
arch.  It really *is* nice to finally find a distro you're entirely
comfortable with, to finally call "home"! =:^)

> I have enchant 1.6 available  for Arch Linux and I can build even a
> pacman package out of it too:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/enchant1.6/
>
> But since I did not do any work :o)   (mostly you did) and am pretty
> thankful for this. Since the whole point was about spell checking, I
> think I can put the text as gmail drafts, do all the spell checks and
> then can post through Pan on USENET.

Thanks.  That does seem to be a reasonable workaround for the time being,
and now that you know the issue, it shouldn't be so hard and frustrating
to wait for the fix, which will surely be available via normal channels
within a few months, as distros and upstreams integrate the adjustments
necessary for enchant-2.x.