pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how to donate?)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 15:39:27 -0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 23:30:54 -0700, David Chmelik wrote:

> I've used Pan since '00s: best NNTP newsreader ever.  However last year
> it started crashing for me in KDE5, so I tried TWM, XFCE, MATE... can't
> run Pan 2 in anything.  I can't run it in regular GNOME (rather than
> maybe MATE or compiling Cinnamon) because I use command-line, not an X
> display manager (GNOME requires gdm) and I heard GNOME forces you to use
> only one session (and I'm not going to exit a KDE or TWM session just
> for GNOME just for Pan.)
>      The developers also didn't do the serious thing to list
> dependencies for real Unix (not just GNU/Linux) such as FreeBSD, etc.
> FreeBSD does have a package, but as it crashes all different ways in
> various window managers (WM)/desktop environments (DE) and when
> compiling.
>      If one uses other POSIX-based OSes & X WM/DE, is there any way
>      you
> can even run Pan anymore?

Pan doesn't care about the DE or WM you use - it just needs the libraries
to be present (just like any GNOME or KDE application).

When you say "it crashes all different ways", if you can provide some
example output (run it from the command-line), that would give someone
something to diagnose. :)

I run Pan daily on openSUSE (in fact, posting this response using Pan
through gmane.io).  Works great.

--
 Jim Henderson