pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan always crashing fast again

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan always crashing fast again
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 12:19:42 -0000 (UTC)

dchmelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w posted on Fri, 2 Sep 2022 19:37:53 -0700
as excerpted:

> Like for past few years until earlier this year, pan always crashes fast
> again (on Slackware64 15+current GNU/Linux).
>
> Pan always says something like this before crashing: (pan:16759):

> Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:23:47.724: IA__gtk_tree_view_column_set_fixed_width:
> assertion 'fixed_width > 0' failed

What version of pan (FWIW I'm running live-git-master pan at the commit
shown in my headers, here)?  And do you know or can you check whether it's
built against gtk2 or gtk3?  (If you can't check the package deps try
running ldd /usr/bin/pan | grep gtk in a terminal, changing the path if
appropriate of course.  Here I get libgtkspell3-3.so.0 and libgtk-3.so.0,
so it's a gtk3 build, not gtk2.)

Until quite recently pan was built by default against gtk2, and that looks
like a bug I had somewhat frequently with it.  However, while it *DID*
mess up the UI, it did *not* crash pan, which would continue to run, just
with the UI messed up (only showing one column in the overview/header
pane).  So while you might have that bug too, it shouldn't be triggering
the crash, just by coincidence happening before whatever does trigger the
crash.

Meanwhile, gtk2 is being phased out and some distros don't even have it
available any longer, so those it's quite likely a recent pan is built
against gtk3.  The problem there is that only /quite/ recently were a
number of critical gtk3 and other newer library bugs fixed (while pan has
a new maintainer now, it was effectively frozen for a few years, during
which it unfortunately got pretty stale against current libraries, and all
those accumulated new-version ports and associated bugs took some time to
fix), so unless you have a *really* new version, you're likely seeing a
now fixed crash related to the first still-quite-buggy gtk3 and other
library upgrade ports.

Pan version 0.151, "Butcha", was released in late June.  That should have
most of the fixes and be pretty stable (tho a quick look says there's more
than translations committed since then, but I'd say I've been stable since
about then or a bit earlier), but given distro release cycles and the fact
that (as a Gentooer) I don't know how current Slackware 15+current
actually is, I'd say 50/50 you're on something before that, and the fact
that you're still crashing increases the odds further, to I'd say 70/30
that you're running something without those bugfixes.

Of course it could be a problem with a specific library you're running,
too.  At least one of the problems I had for a few months was I suspect a
gmime library issue.  I'm now stable but my gmime (3.2.13) was last
updated Aug 22 (tho pan was stable for me somewhat before that, so it
wasn't that version that fixed it for me) so...

Anyway, the most frustrating crashing bug I did have recently, from the
switch to building to gtk3 until just a few months ago (sometime early
this year), was somewhat reliably triggered by mouse-move over pan's body
pane.  As long as I was very careful to keep the mouse away from the body
pane, pan would normally stay running, and just a quick stray over the
body pane often wouldn't trigger a crash either, but if I lingered and
especially if I tried to scroll the body pane (which had been and is now
again a habit, so I was doing it quite a bit... until this bug forced me
out of the habit for a few months), it'd generally only be seconds until
pan crashed.

Unfortunately for pinning down the fix, I learned to keep the mouse well
away from the body pane for awhile, and only fairly recently discovered
that mouse over the body pane didn't crash pan any longer, so I really
don't know what fixed it, only that /something/, /maybe/ libgmime related
(I know a couple other non-crash bugs were gmime related, not sure about
this one), did indeed fix it, and I've not had a pan crash in some months
now.

So assuming pan isn't crashing so fast you don't have the chance, try
keeping the mouse out of the body pane and see if that helps it keep
running.  If it does, you very likely have the same bug I did, and
/something/ I updated recently fixed it.  If pan crashes before you get
that far or when the mouse is elsewhere, you probably have a different
bug.