pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan always crashing fast again

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan always crashing fast again
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 08:26:05 -0000 (UTC)

dchmelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w posted on Sun, 4 Sep 2022 21:43:11 -0700
as excerpted:

> On 9/4/22 5:19 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> dchmelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w posted on Fri, 2 Sep 2022 19:37:53
>> -0700 as excerpted:
>>
>>> Like for past few years until earlier this year, pan always crashes
>>> fast again (on Slackware64 15+current GNU/Linux).
>>>
>>> Pan always says something like this before crashing: (pan:16759):
>>> Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:23:47.724:
>>> IA__gtk_tree_view_column_set_fixed_width:
>>> assertion 'fixed_width > 0' failed
>> What version of pan [a]nd do you know or can you check whether
>> it's built against gtk2 or gtk3?

> GTK2 0.149

OK.  At this point, since you don't see a current gtk3 0.151 build, I'd
really suggest building it yourself (against gtk3), since 0.147 started
modernizing with a switched to gmime3, thereby getting quite buggy and
unstable during the modernizing for a few versions (as I've said 0.151
seems to be stable again now, IDR whether 0.150 was yet or not), while
IIRC 0.146 code was so dated I was having problems even getting it to
build (against gtk2 still) without patches toward the end, and when I did
it was buggy.

Tho it's possible 0.150 (against gtk3) would be enough, if you can find a
binary for it -- I'm not sure if it was stable yet or not.  But if you
build it you might as well go for the latest 0.151 or even try building
current git master.

As it turns out, pan was one of the select packages I learned to build
myself (learning to build updated libraries where necessary in the
process, after switching to the beta Mandrake Cooker and finding even it
sometimes didn't have current libs), nearly 20 years ago now on Mandrake
(I switched to Gentoo in early 2004, and IIRC my first post to the pan
list, according to gmane, was 2002).  Of course that was the old C-based
pan, before its rewrite to C++ and at first even against gtk(1), before
the port to gtk2, and I was quite new to Linux at the time, but I
demonstrated that while it could be a hassle with lib-update-dependency-
hell, it was quite possible even for a non-dev Linux newbie.

If you do get a gtk2 version going again, I suspect that warning listed
above means your header pane columns are going to be screwed up as it
looks to be the same one I remember dealing with every so often for years
on gtk2.  If so, or if it's still screwed up when you get a gtk3 version
going (I don't think gtk3 triggers it any more but not sure it can deal
with the problem if it's still in the config from gtk2), load pan's
preferences.xml file in a text editor (with pan closed and a backup of the
file in case something goes wrong) and delete all the...

<int name='header-pane-*-column-width' value='*'/>

... lines.  Then restart pan and it should reset the widths.

FWIW, upgrades of something or other (I /think/ gtk2 itself, but am not
sure) seemed to trigger that problem here.  I think what was happening is
that some cache for the icons for the read/unread/cached/etc had to be
regenerated with the new version, and pan was reading zero-width columns
the first time it loaded after they upgraded because it tried to read them
before the cache was regenerated.  It would then store those zero-width
columns in preferences.xml so simple restarting wouldn't help -- one had
to either edit/remove the lines from preferences.xml manually, or discover
all the columns invisibly stacked on top of each other at the right edge
and laboriously drag the separators one by one to create new column
widths.  I did the laborious drag a time or two, then switched to editing
the xml file, then finally setup a pan wrapper script that would patch all
the width entries back to something sane if they were zeroed out, so then
whenever I saw the screwed up columns all I had to do was quit and restart
pan (via the wrapper script) and the script would patch the config back to
sanity.  But I suspect you won't be doing many (any?) more gtk2 upgrades
and just deleting the lines and letting pan set sane defaults is the
quickest single-shot fix.

But that wasn't triggering crashes, only a screwed up header pane listing,
so unless it's somehow triggering actual crashes for you, that's not going
to be your big problem ATM, only one you might (still?) have after fixing
your big problem first.