psychosynth-user

Re: [psynth-user] psychosynth on Ubuntu Lucid

From: Aleksander Morgado
Subject: Re: [psynth-user] psychosynth on Ubuntu Lucid
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:28:03 +0200

Hey again,

> http://openubuntu.com/index.php/topic,381.0.html
>
> Above is a link to a three page thread about installing
> psychpsynth....non of these ideas worked for me.

Ok, just tell me in that thread where the people had problems installing
it. I can only see one comment there regarding an issue with the PPA
which seems related to some Launchpad issue, as the debs could be
manually downloaded.

Please, again, could you try the following three commands and report
your issues? I will explain them one by one so that you know what they
do

First, add the GNU Psychosynth Team PPA to your software sources:
  $> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gnu-psychosynth-team/ppa

Second, update the list of downloadable software:
  $> sudo apt-get update

Third, ask to install 'psychosynth-gui and psychosynth-samples'. When
installing these two, all the requireded dependencies should get
automatically installed
  $> sudo apt-get install psychosynth-gui psychosynth-samples

There were suggestions in that forum asking you to install the packages
one by one and in a specific order. This is not needed if you have the
repository properly configured. Also, you probably won't never need
libpsynth-dev.

> Also other people tried from scratch and got...
>
> the 2 packes don't exist anymore so you have problems when you
> run ./congigure. (libboost-serialization1.35-dev libboost1.35-dev)
>
> this is the problem i get when i run configure
>
> Code:
> ./configure
> checking for boostlib >= 1.42... configure: We could not detect the boost
> libraries (version 1.42 or higher). If you have a staged boost library (still
> not installed) please specify $BOOST_ROOT in your environment and do not give
> a PATH to --with-boost option.  If you are sure you have boost installed,
> then check your version number looking in <boost/version.hpp>. See
> http://randspringer.de/boost for more documentation.
> checking whether the Boost::Filesystem library is available... yes
> configure: error: Could not link against  !
> i tried to compile boostlib from this website
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_42_0.html, but even after
> compiling ./configure doesn't work. any ideas.
>
> i also noticed this stuff below from your web page info...
>
> i know in the notes it says BOOST is no longer needed in Lucid.
>
> ALso, some other extensions to do with Lib(files) are no longer needed
> in Lucid

You shouldn't need to compile it yourself.

Anyway, if you really want to do so, you need to first, install all the
build-dependencies as listed in the debian/control packaging from Lucid,
this is:
debhelper, autotools-dev, libboost-filesystem1.40-dev,
libboost-thread1.40-dev, libboost-test1.40-dev, libsigc++-2.0-dev,
liblo-dev, libxml2-dev, libsndfile1-dev, libsoundtouch1-dev,
libvorbis-dev, alsa-base, libjack-dev, libogre-dev, libcegui-mk2-dev,
libceguiogre-dev, libois-dev, libasound2-dev, libpcre3-dev,
libglu1-mesa-dev, libgtk2.0-dev

You will also need specifically the source version that worked in Lucid,
not the last one from the repos. You can use:
https://launchpad.net/~gnu-psychosynth-team/+archive/ppa/+files/psychosynth_0.1.5%2Bbzr20100802%7E0ppa1.tar.gz

And you can compile it with:
$> ./configure
$> make
$> sudo make install

Again, you shouldn't need to do this, just use the three commands above
to enable the PPA and install the precompiled debs.

Cheers,

--
Aleksander