qemacs-devel

Re: dired_show_dot_files

From: Piscium
Subject: Re: dired_show_dot_files
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:42:17 +0100

Hi Charlie,

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 17:34, Olivier Guillaumin <ogu@intersec.com> wrote:

I am not sure who Olivier is!

> You can toggle this variable by pressing ‘.’ in a dired buffer.
> The setting applies to all dired current and future buffers, yet it is not
> saved (yet) when you exit qemacs.

Thanks a lot. This is what I was looking for. It works.

> If you want to hide the dot files by default when loading qemacs, add a line
> to your ~/.qe/config file:
>     dired_show_dot_files=0;

Thanks, this also works.

Btw, before I wrote the email I had tried to put this same line in
qerc. It nearly worked. What I mean is that if from my home folder I
would start qe with no parameter, I would be shown the files in my
home folder including the dot files, but the moment I pressed a key,
for example, down arrow, the dot files became hidden. I am not sure if
this is a bug or the way it is intended to work. It looks as if qerc
was read and processed only after my first key press instead of before
the text being shown to me.

> You could also add these lines to create named macros and bind them to ‘f2’
> and ‘f3’ but given how easy it is to switch inside a dired buffer, it seems
> hardly necessary:
>     define_kbd_macro(“hide-dot_files", “M-x set-variable RET 1 RET", “f2");
>     define_kbd_macro(“hide-dot_files", “M-x set-variable RET 0 RET", “f3”);

This does not work for me. “hide-dot_files" has a dash and a
underscore. It does not work even if I replace the dash with an
underscore.

> I have started working on stabilizing and documenting all these features.

Thanks.

> As you have noticed, dired-mode is not quite as functional as in emacs, can
> you tell me what you use it for in emacs that you miss in qemacs?

I am not (yet ?) an emacs user, maybe I will become some day, who
knows. For me the advantage of microemacs is that it is much faster
than emacs and using it I can get used to the key bindings, as there
is some commonality.