qemacs-devel

Re: dired_show_dot_files

From: Piscium
Subject: Re: dired_show_dot_files
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:50:53 +0100

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 at 21:23, Charlie Gordon <qemacs@chqrlie.org> wrote:

> > I also checked the emacs documentation and also could not find a
> > simple key. For me in this respect qemacs is better than emacs! This
> > is because I like a simple way of toggling. In some file managers I
> > use C-h, there is one file manager that also has the dot to toggle but
> > I forgot which.
>
> When you write “the emacs documentation”, you mean mg’s documentation I
> assume…
> C-h is a prefix key for many help commands in qemacs.

No, I meant emacs. There seems to be no single key that will toggle
hidden files display out of the box (like dot in qemacs). Of course
everything can be configured in emacs.

> Sorry, the macros were bogus, I forgot the variable name, here is a better
> version:
>
> define_kbd_macro("show-dot-files", "M-x set-variable RET dired-show-dot-files
> RET 1 RET", "f2");
> define_kbd_macro("hide-dot-files", "M-x set-variable RET dired-show-dot-files
> RET 0 RET", "f3");

That worked, thanks. I will continue using the dot to toggle but will
keep that commented out in my configuration file as a template in case
I need to do something similar.

> There used to be a Debian package for qemacs, but the maintainer probably
> gave up…
> The current version should compile fine on Debian.

Yes. Also FreeBSD used to have a port. Both were retired at about the
same time it seems, something like 2011-2012.