qemacs-devel

Re: dired_show_dot_files

From: Charlie Gordon
Subject: Re: dired_show_dot_files
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:23:18 +0200

On 21 Aug 2022, at 21:37, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot. This is what I was looking for. It works.
>>
>> I just realized this binding is non standard, emacs does something else for
>> this key
>> and there is no simple key to toggle between hiding and showing dot files
>
> I also checked the emacs documentation and also could not find a
> simple key. For me in this respect qemacs is better than emacs! This
> is because I like a simple way of toggling. In some file managers I
> use C-h, there is one file manager that also has the dot to toggle but
> I forgot which.

When you write “the emacs documentation”, you mean mg’s documentation I assume…
C-h is a prefix key for many help commands in qemacs.

>>> This does not work for me. “hide-dot_files" has a dash and a
>>> underscore. It does not work even if I replace the dash with an
>>> underscore.
>>
>> Sorry about that, the variable names have `-` (dashes) in them, the
>> underlying C variables use `_` (underscore).
>> The config file parser does the conversion automatically, but the function
>> set-variable does not. I should probably make this more transparent.
>> Sorry also about the guillemets instead of double quotes. This email client
>> insists on silly automatic conversions.
>
> Even after replacing dash with underscore, and removing the funny
> characters that were there instead of double quotes, it still does not
> work for me. This is what I have at the moment.
>
> define_kbd_macro("hide_dot_files", "M-x set-variable RET 1 RET", "f2");
> define_kbd_macro("hide_dot_files", "M-x set-variable RET 0 RET", "f3");
>
> Maybe there is something else amiss there?

Sorry, the macros were bogus, I forgot the variable name, here is a better
version:

define_kbd_macro("show-dot-files", "M-x set-variable RET dired-show-dot-files
RET 1 RET", "f2");
define_kbd_macro("hide-dot-files", "M-x set-variable RET dired-show-dot-files
RET 0 RET", "f3");

>> I have not used microemacs since 1987, and lost track of the may versions
>> available, including one customized by Linus Torvalds.
>> Which version do you use? I suspect it is “mg”, widely available and part of
>> the OpenBSD source tree, where do you get it from?
>
> I use several editors and IDEs for different purposes, probably not a
> good idea! But with respect to editors somewhat similar to micro
> emacs, I evaluated all that are available in Arch but the only one I
> am using is qemacs. Of the micro emacs style of editors, mg seems to
> be the one available in most distros or OSes. For me qemacs has two
> advantages over mg, syntax highlighting and UTF-8. One good thing
> about mg is that it is (apparently) well documented. In the OpenBSD
> project, documentation is considered very important. I recently set up
> a headless back-up server with Debian. As there is no qemacs in Debian
> I use mg there (or nvi).

There used to be a Debian package for qemacs, but the maintainer probably gave
up…
The current version should compile fine on Debian.

Cheers

Chqrlie