qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:30:09 +0100

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 13:56, Christian Schoenebeck
<qemu_oss@crudebyte.com> wrote:
> I've recently been thinking about how feasible a stripped down Xcode project
> for QEMU would be, i.e. you just get the QEMU sources, click on
> qemu.xcodeproj, Cmd + B, done. No extra installation, no configure, nothing.

How would this work? Can you have an XCode project that just
says "to build this program we will run configure and make" ?
We definitely don't want to have two parallel mechanisms for
specifying how to build QEMU, because they'll just get out of sync.

> each individually on macOS. Or right, you could alternatively "just install"
> them from Homebrew, MacPorts, Fink. But no matter which solution you choose,
> it easily ends up in a mess (conflicts, misbehaviours) on macOS to install
> libs and apps globally. And I think that's the problem why there are currently
> relatively little contribution for QEMU coming from devs on macOS. Because you
> don't want to install things globally on a macOS system, it's simply not
> working well there as it does with Linux distros.

My experience with homebrew has been pretty good overall.
If there's a better way to handle OSX hosts that doesn't
require us to carry around all our dependencies (which is
impractical) that would be interesting to investigate.

> The question is, and I don't have the big picture of QEMU yet to judge that,
> how much is auto generated for QEMU i.e. with custom scripts that would
> probably destroy this plan? There are these trace calls that are auto
> generated, is there more like the TCG part for instance?

Lots of stuff is autogenerated, yes.

thanks
-- PMM