qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 19:13:55 +0100

> On Mittwoch, 9. September 2020 15:40:05 CEST Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > Ideally any xcode setup would just invoke whatever our standard
> > build tools are IMHO, so it has zero possibility of introducing
> > new build problems.
>
> Then you would not win anything on Mac. The problematic on macOS is that
> Apple
> froze many standard FOSS tools that switched to GPL3. So by default you just
> have e.g. GNU make 3.81 (2006), Bash 3.2.57 (2007), ...  unless you start to
> manually install them (e.g. from Homebrew & Co). And being forced to use
> Meson
> on Mac with all its Python dependencies does not make it easier.

It is going to need to use homebrew (or an equivalent) to bring in various
3rd party libraries QEMU depends on at build time, not least glib. So avoiding
homebrew for the build system doesn't appear like an obvious win to me.

I don't think QEMU wants to restrict itself to merely what is available in
the basic macOS install. We expect users to have to pull in stuff from
homebrew or an equivalent to get functionality that Apple has no intention
of ever shipping in their base OS install.

Regards,
Daniel