qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 16:43:05 +0300

> On 9 Sep 2020, at 16:30, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> My experience with homebrew has been pretty good overall.

Homebrew is fine for use cases that don't mind it is a rolling distribution. :-(

For complex builds it is safer to lock the environment to certain known to work
versions, and homebrew cannot do this. You can disable the auto-update feature,
and keep it locked to a set of versions, but usually only within a macOS
version. After you update the system, usually you have to update homebrew.

For my production xPack builds, I simply could not use homebrew, I had to
recreate a build environment in a separate folder, with the desired versions of
the tools.

Regards,

Liviu