Re: Discussion about file format for the future

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Discussion about file format for the future
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 13:57:03 +0200

Hi,

On 04/06/2020 12:54, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 11:46, EricZolf <ewl+rdiffbackup@lavar.de> wrote:
>>
>> rdiff-backup has currently its own file formats, which are far from
>> being standard, meaning a lot of custom code to handle these formats,
>> respectively a lot of different files...
>
> +1 for YAML, but please retain compatibility (at least for
> recover/verify) for existing repos

This is definitely and absolutely the plan, and why changes will not
come fast.

I'll send an e-mail to have this discussion once I'll have more concrete
plans but I have on my mind following rules of thumb:

- introduce API (aka client/server communication) and repo versioning
(independent from actual rdiff-backup version)
- any breaking change must go over 3 versions of rdiff-backup, so that
version N can handle N-1 and N+1

KR, Eric