Re: Discussion about file format for the future

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: Discussion about file format for the future
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:37:24 +0200

On 04/06/2020 14:20, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>    * what is the rdiff file format used for?  Presumably it is not the format
> of
> the stored backups, right?  Is it the configuration files?  Something else?

Correct, configuration files and "metadata" files, but also potentially
to exchange information between client and server (e.g. the version
string could be enriched to exchange more information than just
version). Any file which isn't an increment under `rdiff-backup-data`
could be expressed as YAML-file (if you look at `mirror_metadata.*`
files, they already look a lot like YAML; it also hurts my soul to have
`chars_to_quote` and `special_escapes` as separate format-less config
files).

But, at this stage, the discussion is not to address a specific file but
just to have a consistent file format to use when required.

KR, Eric