Re: Discussion about file format for the future

From: Eric L. Zolf
Subject: Re: Discussion about file format for the future
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 19:55:34 +0200

Hi,

that's an interesting idea, I was more in the optic of keeping a simple
file based structure but if there are requirements, we can think about
alternatives, it could be a SQL or even a noSQL DB, or a keystore.

Regarding the terabytes of data, I take the point, I never foresaw to
convert the data itself, only the metadata, whereas I haven't yet a
clear view on a strategy forward: either a converting tool to "upgrade"
a repo, or convert transparently within rdiff-backup itself, or keep old
data and only use the new format for new metadata (I don't really like
this last one, but if it's the only solution...).

scanning the metadata files is a nightmare -> from which point of view?
Performance and/or complexity of code?

KR, Eric