Re: Discussion about file format for the future

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: Discussion about file format for the future
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 10:19:39 -0400

EricZolf <ewl+rdiffbackup@lavar.de> writes:

> 3. to answer Derek's e-mail as well: would it have an impact on speed?
> To be honest, no clue, we would need to analyze this.

Just as another data point, apparently a year ago my backup server
wasn't backing stuff up, so for the past few days my nightly backup
hasn't had anything to do for the "remove incremental > 1 year old" step
it does.  You know what?  Instead of the process finishing at 6-8pm it's
finishing before 8am!

In other words, it takes 7 hours to backup all my systems, and then
10-12 hours more to remove all the year-old incrementals.  Yes, the
removal of snapshots is taking longer than the backups themselves.

Based on this, if I had unlimited disk space I would never remove an
incremental.  But disk space is not unlimited, and I figured 1 year was a
good cutoff.

I wish this were faster.  My worst offender is one particular system: 3
hours to backup the server and 8 hours to remove an incremental from that
dataset.  That seems.... unbalanced.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com