repo-criteria-discuss

Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:09:09 -0800

There seems a confusion. A host can distribute non-free software legally
because their terms of service describe their permission to do so. When
the public downloads such software, they are subject to the terms of the
host's distribution and whatever terms the software is under.

Issue 1: a host is letting people download software which they are not
actually legally allowed to have or engage with (this is a serious problem)

Issue 2: a host is letting people download software under some default
terms-of-service that the host offers which doesn't actually license the
software for use by the downloader (still questionable for sure)

You compare to soundcloud etc, but a better comparison might be a forum
where people post things, text and whatever. The forum does not block
anyone from copying and pasting the test people post. That does not mean
people have the legal right to do anything with the contents of the
forum posts necessarily.

These things are indeed messy and there's some big issues to untangle.
But this gets into really making sense of the somewhat uncharted
territories of the practical application of hosts' terms of service