repo-criteria-discuss

Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 00:03:21 -0500

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 20:22:30 -0800 Aaron wrote:
> irresponsibility of a host and of the various repositories doesn't
> directly undermine the freedoms around any GNU software at that host.

i agree - but these criteria are not presented as software
freedom concerns - they are presented as ethical concerns

it does mention that it is primarily intended as a reference for
GNU projects - frankly, i dont believe that GNU projects require
such guidance; and from my experience, the majority are not
interested in any web forges

i see this list as most valuable to the general community;
and it appears to me, that the majority of people who are
interested in it, are not GNU maintainers

much has changed since these criteria were codified - one very
important thing is that there are many full-featured self-hosting
options available today - IMHO, convincing people to self-host is
far more important than warning them about the ethics of this
host or that one - people who self-host can define their own
ethics - they only need the free software, and now it exists, in
multiple flavors

i think the entire process is due for a review/revision - i
would like to see more hosts on this list, and to add a second
list of self-hosting options - obviously, the criteria for those,
could be based on the properties of the software, more than
ethics of the operator