repo-criteria-discuss

Re: self-hosting forge software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: self-hosting forge software
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 01:03:45 -0400

  > "virtual private server" - digital-ocean is among the most
  > well-known hosts - they are rented computing resources, in the

I know about these.  I don't recall seeing that name, though.
I call them rented virtual servers.

What surprises me is your statement that the client that rents the
server can't install the operating system in it.  Last I checked,
Amazon AWS would let clients install any system.  That was 15 years
ago so maybe things have changed for the worse.  I am too overloaded
to go around checking things again to see if anything changed.

It would be nice to set up a page rating these companies,
but first we should bring our ratings of forges up to date!

--
Dr Richard Stallman