repo-criteria-discuss

Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: RFC: criteria A4 should be a C-class criteria
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 09:07:47 -0400

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 19:33:35 -0500 bill-auger wrote:
> i think "viewing" is obvious - that means the public can read
> the code in a web browser
> "forking"
> means "pressing the fork-me button on the website", which merely
> creates another copy on the server
> that was a few years ago; but i doubt that their TOS has changed
> WRT that topic

just as an update, i re-read the github ToS - it looks like
they added some clarification - it is explicit that all granted
permissions: ("using, displaying, and performing") are limited
to the facilities of the web software

it is section D-5, if anyone is interested
https://docs.github.com/en/github/site-policy/github-terms-of-service

> it does not mention anything about the downloading a tarball;

it still does not, nor about using the git program to access the
server - the permissions in the ToS appear to only relate to what
is facilitated via the web software - which actually suggests,
that users do have permission to press the download button
(because the web software facilitates it), although they may have
no permission to posses the downloaded file

the only wording which may apply to tarballs and git clones,
notes that each user accepts responsibility for whatever is
downloaded - however, that is under the context of section "N.
Disclaimer of Warranties" (ie: it is disclaiming responsibility
for viruses)