repo-criteria-discuss

Re: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org

From: Hein-Pieter van Braam-Stewart
Subject: Re: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 18:12:36 +0200

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for considering NAB (Notabug.org) for
inclusion once more. NAB was created specifically to conform as closely
to GNU's ethical forge requirements as possible. However, previously
any attempts to get it evaluated were ignored.

At this current time I, however, have my own ethical dilemma: When Mr.
Stallman stepped down from the FSF leadership in 2019 I applauded the
move and I considered it to be a very courageous step. While Mr.
Stallman's moral compass as it pertains to software has always been,
and continues to be, spot on, his moral compass as it pertains to other
societal issues has not kept up with the times.

Mr. Stallman's return has been particularly difficult for me personally
as his writings have informed a large part of the person who I am today
. When I saw him taking the difficult step of putting the movement
ahead of himself I considered this a vindication of my trust in him
personally that Free software is more important than one person. His
desire to get back in a position of power thus fills me with a deep
sense of betrayal. Free software cannot continue to be under Mr.
Stallman's leadership and expect to survive.

While I cannot claim to have lived up to my beliefs as they are today
regarding sexism, amblism, homophobia, and transphobia, I strive to do
better, and I believe I have made some personal progress here. I was
under the impression that the FSF and GNU were making similar steps
towards making Free software a more accepting place for everyone. The
re-installing of Mr. Stallman suggests that no personal lessons have
been learned.

Thus I find myself in a position where I am worried that accepting a
listing on GNU.org can be construed as an endorsement of the current
situation. So I feel that, should notabug.org get listed, I need to
install a new webpage on notabug.org to express my condemnation of the
current situation.

- HP (Administrator of notabug.org)