savannah-hackers

Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management [Was: Re: Subprojects in Savan

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management [Was: Re: Subprojects in Savannah]
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 00:55:46 +0100

> Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2020 at 12:27 AM
> From: "Luis Falcon" <falcon@gnuhealth.org>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>, savannah-hackers@gnu.org,
> bandali@gnu.org, bob@proulx.com, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>, "Christian
> Grothoff" <christian@grothoff.org>
> Subject: Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management [Was: Re: Subprojects in
> Savannah]
>
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 22:43:18 +0100
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > > Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2020 at 10:26 PM
> > > From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> > > To: "Luis Falcon" <falcon@gnuhealth.org>
> > > Cc: dimech@gmx.com, savannah-hackers@gnu.org, bandali@gnu.org,
> > > bob@proulx.com Subject: Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management
> > > [Was: Re: Subprojects in Savannah]
> > >
> > > I think there is little point in continuing to discuss how you think
> > > Savannah is run, it is up to the Savannah hackers how they decide
> > > what they wish to work on, or not.  You can call this "wrong" or a
> > > "mistake" -- but it doesn't change the way how the GNU project
> > > works.
> >
> > Because Savannah is the central point for development, maintenance
> > and distribution of official GNU software, this changes things
> > somewhat - making "let people decide what they wish to work on"
> > problematic, to say the least.  In professional settings, it is
> > absurd.  Yet some people boast that "A Gnu System today runs the
> > computing needs of the International Space Station".
>
> Fully agree. It is not only about "them" and what they do, it is about
> us, as a community. We are not, can not, and will not be passive
> bystanders. You can bet on this.
>
> As Christopher points out, our projects are hosted at GNU, and the
> our project's reputation is at stake.
>
> Alfred, you seem to be good at sending links and asking people to read
> GNU documents.... now is time for you to read this... several
> times:
>
>       National Public health systems today use and depend on GNU
>       Health today.
>
> That is, millions of individuals can not become hostages of someone's
> will to maintain the operating system or the repository server. Is that
> crystal clear? Respect!
>
> Enough is enough. For a moment I thought that we at GNU were seeing the
> light at the end of the tunnel, but it was a mirage.

There are enlightened human beings at Gnu, with vision as Richard Stallman
had during the beginning years.  Some still cannot see the larger implications
of our work and have a limited compartmentalised view of the world.  I am here
to change that, Dr. Falcon.

> I had it with all this nonsense.

Thank you for bringing clarity to the whole thing and for a time where we
can work together in better circumstances.