savannah-hackers

Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 00:23:17 -0500

Hi Luis,

Luis Falcon writes:

> Hi, Amin

[...]
> Amin, you are the best. Thank you so very much!
>
> I have disable hg at OSDN, and now we can focus on this one.

Cheers, happy to help!

>> I made health-hmis a symlink to health; but for some reason it was not
>> being picked up by hgweb. I had to add health-hmis =
>> /srv/hg/health-hmis into /etc/mercurial/hgwebdir.conf (and now it
>> appears near the top, far from other health-* repos).   Bob, any
>> thoughts/ideas as to why?
>
> No worries about health-hmis ... we can use the existing "health" as
> the HIS component, so we don't need health-hmis. We can just use the
> description on that repo as "GNU Health - Hospital Information System
> component"

Is that the description you would like for 'health-hmis', 'health', or
both perhaps?

>> Luis, if the repo names with dashes are not acceptable and you prefer
>> subdirectories under health/ (for example, health/thalamus instead of
>> health-thalamus), we may be able to arrange for it, but it would
>> likely require adding a .hgignore file in the 'health' repository to
>> ignore the said subdirectories, so as to help avoid accidentally
>> committing changes in those repositories through the parent
>> repository.  What do you think?
>
> It looks like they are working well with the dash, which is just fine
> with me.
>
> I will now start migrating the other components. If I find any issue, I
> will send a separate email to savannah-hackers.

Okay sure, sounds good!  I replied to your more recent message about the
permissions issue.

>> > We need the freedom to manage our computing resources at GNU.org.
>> > It's ironic, but we're failing on the very concept that we want the
>> > community to follow, the freedom to manage their computing
>> > resources.
>> >
>> > For instance, we should, as project administrators, have shell
>> > access to create and manage the needed resources, or an alternative
>> > that won't require us having to ask the GNU sysadmins to do it for
>> > us. Requesting help from sysadmins should be a last resort, in case
>> > of emergency. The management of our projects should be done by
>> > ourselves.
>>
>> I agree that the general workflow(s) around Savannah could be
>> improved. But this is what we have right now; please let's try our
>> best to keep working with each other and continue moving things
>> forward with it, until such time that a more convenient solution is
>> available. :-)
>
> Probably the best is to implement a new hosting platform for Savannah.
> Some months ago we exchange some emails, don't remember if it was at
> gnu-private or at savannah-hackers. Probably the tedious part would
> be transferring the current users accounts, but I think a new platform
> for Savannah will be a great milestone.

Right.  I'll see if I can find that thread.

As for a new platform for Savannah, I think that is in some way planned:
Along the lines of the FSF forge project currently under work by the FSF
tech team for the wider free software community, there may also be a new
installation of a new forge software for GNU project(s), to compliment
Savannah.  Hopefully there will be more news about this in the coming
months.

>> Thank you for your patience, and for bearing with us as we work
>> through this.
>>

> Thanks to you. I, and I am positive the whole GNU family, are very
> grateful to you, Amin.
>
> All the best
> Luis

Thank you for your kind words, Luis; I really appreciate it.  I may seem
to have been the 'key' person in moving this forward, but I'd like to
give a shout out to the FSF sysadmins (e.g. Ian) and my fellow Savannah
hackers (like Bob) who do so much great work, and whom I continue to
learn from. :-)

Best,
amin