savannah-hackers

Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management [Was: Re: Subprojects in Savan

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Volunteers for GNU and GNU management [Was: Re: Subprojects in Savannah]
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 03:54:52 +0100

Dear Richard,

For uniformity, Gnu software should be downloaded from Gnu websites and
sponsored by the FSF, regardless where the original projects are hosted
and how.  This even though many Gnu packages distribute in other ways,
and have done so for a long time.

We must start looking at things in a different way.  We are
loosing long term vision by being complacent on the work being
done against the word required.  One possibility is to categorise
Gnu Packages according to some criterion, so that for some packages,
work can be focused according to specifically defined operational
procedures as soon as the situation falls below a certain threshold.

Luis and myself have some experience on this:  We both work in areas
where major humanitarian crises induced by natural disasters or conflicts,
and infectious disease events (including outbreaks), results in an IASC
Level 3 (L3) Activation to ensure effective response.

COVID-19 crisis is for instance an L3 emergency.

Let's keep this in mind!  There are aspects of life that require us to get out
of our bed to face the world, irrespective of our level of tiredness,
joyfulness,
pleasantness, or whatever.

Sincerely
Christopher