sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: Jeff Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:21:25 -0400

On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:11 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:

> I don't think this thread is pointless.  I think the size of the pool is
> increasing at a rate that we cannot keep up with.  With the current
> implementation, we could all be DoS'd if someone wrote a script to
> generate and publish 1M new keys per week.  We need to plan for this
> sort of eventuality.

So write the script and DoS everyone and SKS servers will quickly change to
your liking.

Truly the reasoning based on "capacity" planning based on SKS dump
estimates leaps to conclusions that aren't based on careful
analysis of whatever problem there might be.

Even very simple statistics on number of keys (rather than no. or bytes)
vs average keysize starts to look more seriously at whatever scaling
problem there might be.

Meanwhile the traffic patterns tracking new/updated keys do not
indicate any immediately pending doom of the existing infrastructure,
and don't support your conclusion of "... cannot keep up with." imho.

ymmv, everyone's does.

73 de Jeff