sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] IPv6 peering; keydumps annoyingly large
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:28:14 -0400

> categorized the U.S. as an endemic surveillance state.  And since
> that time it has continued to pursue private information and to do
> so often without a warrant--though the FISA court has yet to decline
> a single warrant request.

Although I don't mean to open a political can of worms here, why do people
believe the low rejection rate by FISC (they've rejected five warrants,
incidentally, not zero) is evidence of malfeasance?  For quite some time the
gatekeeper to FISC was an FBI agent named Allan Kornblum, who knew that his
career depended on FISC a lot more than it depended on the Executive Branch.
He was sort of infamous for telling NSA "go away and come back with a better
warrant, I'm not going to jeopardize my career bringing this to FISC, FISC will
laugh at me if I bring them this and then I will never get the federal
judgeship I'm looking for".

Stewart Baker, former General Counsel for NSA, former Undersecretary of
Homeland Security, and one of the guys who tried to foist Clipper off on us in
the early Nineties, has written a book called _Skating on Stilts_ in which he
talks a good bit about the bureaucratic wrangling within the intelligence
community post-9/11.  Kornblum is portrayed in a few different places as an
obstructionist who was getting in the NSA's way.  Getting warrants past FISC
was not the problem, according to Baker: getting warrants past Kornblum was the
torment of the damned.  Baker tries to portray this as an example of how
bureaucratic infighting post-9/11 got in the way of effective intelligence
activities, but me, I thought it kind of said the system was working pretty
well.

FISC, and everything that surrounds it, is not a single monolithic entity with
one single hivemind.  It's a political bureaucracy, which means that it's full
of strong egos in violent conflict with each other.

It's tempting to see government action as the result of a single set of
policies carried out by people who are in agreement about how to do things, but
really, this seems to be wildly the exception rather than the rule.  Usually
these people can't even agree on whether they're wearing socks...