sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Debian binary replacement

From: John Clizbe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Debian binary replacement
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:44:36 -0500

Jens Leinenbach wrote:
> John Clizbe wrote:
>> Thank you for the medal. What sort of metal is bronce? Is it the result
>> of being exposed to too much lead as a child?
>
> It's bronze. That's called typo. Or spanish. Not sure if lead exposure can
> cause this.
>
>> There IS NO SKS VERSION 1.1.4! Yaron will make that decision when it
>> happens, possibly with my input, then I'll probably tag the and roll the
>> release.
>
> You call these changes a "massive" patch and I don't want people to use a
> massively patched version with the same version number as you can't see the
> changes from the "outside" if someone has trouble with it. So I decided to
> change the version number - even if I am not happy with it. But I didn't
> want to change the version numbering to something like "1.1.3-patch1".

If you pull anything but the main trunk, you're running patched, which for me
is sks-1.1.3-108 or sks-1.1.3-1523bc6f0e5a for the long name.

BTW, sks will only accept a version number that is an integer triple: i.j.k.

The patch was a whole lot of changes at once. I have not had time to review
them. But instead of engaging me directly, you chose to provoke in an
inflammatory manner; not usually a good method of gaining my cooperation

>> I received a single massive patch from Jens modifying SKS's file
>> locations, again, specifically for Debian users.
>
> Now this is wrong.

Any more than calling me lazy and unresponsive?

> The patch "sks-1.1.3to4.patch" [1] is for all users that don't want to have
> all files in one base directory, but in Linux typical directories like
> /var/log. My intension is to point to the same directories as before, but
> make them changeable.

see above

> The additional "sks-1.1.4-debian.patch" [2] finally changes everything to
> Debian specific directory paths, but still leaves everything configurable.
>
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2012-05/msg00018.html

see above

>> I even sent back to him the tarball contining the patches Debian already
>> used to do this.
>
> Thank you for that, but those old Debian patches were really weird. E.g.
> the base directory path was just set to "" and the Debian directories were
> directly added to the source code afterwards. Result: If you set the base
> directory to something like "/bla" via the command line, this leads to
> something like: "/bla/var/lib/sks"
>
> So  I can understand why they were not used in the original version.

A lot of them were not used in the original because they broke established
behavior or were too Debian-specific. Something you could have found out
easily by asking me.

>> Note: these changes must be workable for all users, not just the
>> self-entitled users of a single distribution on a single hardware
>> architecture.
>
> My patch makes this finally possible. Before, everything was written to the
> "base" directory what follows no linux standard.

Surprise, there still is no Linux standard. There are standards that some
agree on, but not everyone.

>> As for doing nothing with SKS in general, I've pushed every release since
>> 1.1.0, with 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 being largely my own work. Therefore, I feel
>> I have done too much work to leave me worthy enough for me to claim your
>> medal. Perhaps you could keep it for yourself in honor of your
>> overinflated sense of self-entitlement.
>
> Thank you very much for your work!

Yeah, that thanks was really evident earlier. Forgive me if I wonder about
your current sincerity.

-John