Re: [Social-discuss] Which of these names do you like?

From: Dan Brickley
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of these names do you like?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 01:58:05 +0300

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Dave Id <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been merely eavesdropping on this list, but I work in marketing as a
> site builder in San Francisco and I'd think a single syllable name would be
> ideal.  Two would be pushing your luck for easily adopted into the popular
> lexicon.  Three or more syllables should clearly be out of the question.
> Being easy to spell is important too -- any ambiguity on phonetics of
> spelling would be bad.

And how many single syllable, unambiguously spelled names are left, roughly? :)

In fact given
http://www.frivolity.com/teatime/Songs_and_Poems/english_is_tough_stuff.html
... and the common expectation of artfully mis-spelled names for
internet brands, spelling unambiguity is difficult. Given the letters,
we should roughly know how it sounds; but given the sounds, we can't
guarantee people will guess the official spelling. (Dopplr, Flickr,
Layar and others fit this pattern...).

cheers,

Dan