Re: [Social-discuss] Which of these names do you like?

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of these names do you like?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:38:57 +0100

On 06/23/2010 02:25 PM, Nicolás Reynolds wrote:
Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:17:44AM -0400, Ted Smith dijo:
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 00:38 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
On 06/23/2010 12:36 AM, Shashi wrote:

for example naming the servers after medieval artists / classical
musicians / architects would be nice.

will those names resonate with the public? i for example, cannot think
of a medieval artist.

I can think of a lot of Renaissance artists - maybe that's what Shashi
was thinking of.

It seems like anything with recognition to it would be a better choice
than randomly generated words.

+1 and +1 for language diversity

(note this is not a -1 for the first list, but i don't like any of them)

Recognition is good, but mis-recognition and namespace collision are bad. If we use "Leonardo" as a name (to take an example of a renaissance artist / TMNT) there's already a Leonardo journal of electronic art and other users of the name that we would have to avoid confusion with.

Social networking sites do tend to have composite names (MySpace, Facebook), and it's easier to create composite names that no-one else is using. Invented names might be good as well as long as they aren't inadvertently funny or offensive in any language.

If people have ideas for good composite or invented names, that's great. We can grow the list.

- Rob.