social

Re: [Social] Private Messaging Plugin

From: Brion Vibber
Subject: Re: [Social] Private Messaging Plugin
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:13:55 -0400

On 6/24/10 11:49 AM, Evan Prodromou wrote:
On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 21:06 -0400, Sean Corbett wrote:
Ian and I wrote a quick draft on how we plan on making the Private
Messaging plugin work: http://gitorious.org/social/pages/Privatemessaging

There are some plans in motion to have Blaine Cook's Webfinger
authentication scheme implemented in the StatusNet core, so many of
our plugins (including this one) will rely on this process to
authenticate users to remote GNU Social instances. Once the Webfinger
code is implemented into StatusNet and the view code for GNU Social is
in place, this plugin should be relatively simple to implement.
I think this is something that should be in core, not a plugin.

Might be quicker to prototype as a plugin, but definitely something we'll want to have available as widely as possible!

Sean, quick question on the message flow -- it sounds like the messages won't actually get sent until the receiving server requests it after user action. I'm still wrapping my head around the webfinger oauth ;) ... is this all server-server communication, or does it actually require some active authenticated sessions?

If it is all server-server, then there doesn't seem to be a strict need to wait until user interaction to fetch the message source; a server could simply fetch it immediately and store it locally, or send it direct to the user by email or another local push mechanism.

Are there other reasons for the delay, such as allowing for canceling a message after sending it if it hasn't been read, or showing a 'has been read' notification to the sender?

-- brion vibber (brion @ status.net)