Re: [STUMP] Openoffice focus problem...bug?

From: Shawn
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Openoffice focus problem...bug?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:26:14 -0700

"Philip M. White" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 04:47:27PM +0200, Morgan Veyret wrote:
>> I think I found a problem with openoffice, I can reproduce it as follow:
>>
>> - create a new group "test"
>> - get back to the "Default" group
>> - run openoffice
>> - gmove it to the "test" group you've just created
>> - then try to click openoffice's menu
>>
>> Here it puts me back to the group where I was when I launched the
>> openoffice program.
>
> Yes, OpenOffice.org definitely does something strange, and this is not
> specific to stumpwm.
>
> I first experienced what you're describing with IceWM's virtual
> desktops: if you start OOo on one virtual desktop, then move it to
> another virtual desktop using IceWM's controls, then open any dialog box
> or drop-down menu, OOo will force that menu or window into the original
> virtual desktop.

Sounds like Open Office is using netwm trickery to put itself back in
the old workspace/group. Perhaps it would be useful to have some sort
of *netwm-override* variable similar to *deny-map-request* that
matches netwm commands and windows and decides whether to honour the
request. I don't know if the netwm spec allows this sort of
overriding, though.

Feel free to hack up a patch..or at least add it to the feature request list on
the wiki :).

-Shawn