Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:23:40 -0700

> The python module uses the dbus message bus interface to directly talk
> to HAL which sets the panel brightness.
> I had considered writing it in common lisp. Unfortunately cl-dbus is
> at a very early stage as of now. There are dbus specific user space
> tools that allow working with the protocol and we could possibly have
> stump use dbus in this way, but then I'm not too sure if that would
> give the same performance as the python equivalent. Any suggestions?

I guess both the python module and the dbus specific user space tool
way involves installing non-lisp programs so it probably doesn't
matter which one of those one chooses (assuming they're both easy to
install). However, clearly, cl-dbus or another lisp dbus
implementation is the long term solution :). How hard can hacking dbus
possibly be?

> Yes. I agree that pure lisp is the way to go.
> I'm also looking for ways to send data from emacs to stumpwm (which
> explains the .temp file in the code above).
> I wrote a emacs-jabber gmail notifier a few weeks ago in elisp:
> http://github.com/joelagnel/jabber-mail-notify/tree
> I was using a clunky file based approach (file written by emacs) and
> had stumpwm poll for new data, it had its own problems.
> I think I could do with a sort of an IPC framework or named pipes.
> what do you think?

You can use stumpish to send lisp code to stumpwm to evaluate. It's in
contrib/. That's how stumpwm-mode.el works, which lets you evaluate
code into stumpwm using standard emacs bindings.

-Shawn