Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience

From: Julian Stecklina
Subject: Re: [STUMP] stumpwm-goodies for a better stump experience
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:18:29 +0200

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> However, clearly, cl-dbus or another lisp dbus
> implementation is the long term solution :). How hard can hacking dbus
> possibly be?

The potential uses of a Common Lisp DBUS binding are numerous. When I
started cl-dbus, I looked at the code for the C dbus library. I quickly
decided that reimplementation is the way to go. ;)

The low-level communication setup and authentication are done. There is
a prototype of the low-level marshalling code. The rest is mostly
macrology. Basically, there could be two interfaces:

1. A def-dbus-method macro that takes the name of the method and the
argument types and generates optimized stub code.[1]

2. Something like call-dbus-method, which does all the marshalling ad
hoc. For speed you could wrap that up with a compiler macro.

These only need to be written. ;) There are some parts of the DBUS spec
that really suck and make writing cl-dbus highly annoying, though...

For anyone that would like to help, the code is at
http://github.com/blitz/cl-dbus and you can best reach me via
Jabber/XMPP at address@hidden

Footnotes:
[1]  C/C++ people are always amazed when you do this kind in a macro
that is half a page long. I would rather pluck my eyes out than
hack on http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/dice/ ...

--
Julian Stecklina

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners - Ernst Jan Plugge