[STUMP] StumpWM + SLIME - not connecting properly

From: Duncan Bayne
Subject: [STUMP] StumpWM + SLIME - not connecting properly
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:38:59 +1000

Hi All,

I have installed StumpWM and Emacs on my Ubuntu 10.10 box.  Versions are:

stumpwm  1:20090804.git9d6cb388-1
cl-swank  1:20100605-1
emacs  23.1+1-4ubuntu7.2+maverick1

I have added the following code to my .stumpwmrc as per
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/StumpWM:

(load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
(swank-loader:init)
(defcommand swank () ()
  (setf stumpwm:*top-level-error-action* :break)
  (swank:create-server :port 4005
                       :style swank:*communication-style*
                       :dont-close t)
  (echo-string (current-screen)
               "Starting swank. M-x slime-connect RET RET, then (in-package
stumpwm)."))
(swank)

StumpWM starts correctly - if a little more slowly - and I can run
slime-connect from within Emacs.

However, when it connects, I get the following messages (the final
success message varies):

"Versions differ: 2010-07-21 (slime) vs 2010-06-04 (swank)"
"Connected. Lemonodor-fame is but a hack away!"

Despite reporting success, there is no *inferior-lisp* buffer created.

Could someone please give me a helping hand?  I think perhaps I should
remove the Ubuntu Emacs, cl-swank and stumpwm packages and build
everything from source, but I'd like to hear from someone who's got
this working before going down that path :-)

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420 817 082 | web: http://www.fluidscape.com/ | skype: duncan_bayne