Re: [STUMP] Contrib

From: Deepak Tripathi
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Contrib
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 14:27:31 +0530

Tycho,

> 1) we put the default contrib directory in the default path, so that
>    people can optionally load modules as they see fit. It won't break
>    things, and I suppose we just need to make sure that user specified
>    paths take precedence.
That's sound good :)

> 2) We have some sort of wiki or stumpwm-forge and don't distribute any
>    modules with the core WM. This is a la emacs-wiki, and I suspect that
>    most of the people who are likely to be comfortable with stump are
>    likely to be comfortable with emacswiki so that shouldn't be to bad.

I was reading old archive stumpwm devel news and i found that there is
one already in place[0] but i am not sure that its properly maintained
or not and it also does not fulfill the wiki purpose.
> 3) We just integrate and accept patches and modules wildly with only
>    cursory review. The reason to be more careful about commit access and
>    including new code is to avoid regressions, malicious content, and
>    what not. But it seems that these are infrastrcture/logistical
>    problems: testing, CI, conversations. I'm not much of a lisper, but
>    the logistics stuff I can help with. If that's what people (and the
>    current maintainers) want.
>
>> Also I support nice wiki pages for document/addon.As of now StumpWM
>> lakes nice newbie documentation.
>
> Oh documentation. I'm a technical writer by trade and would be willing
> to help out with documentation and have thought about what various
> tutorials would look like, but it's been (so far) pretty far down on my
> list. Hrm. Is there anyone else on the list who has some time they want
> to put towards documentation? I'm game, but I don't think I have the
> time to do this alone.

+1
What we require that we have one wiki i.e (wiki.stumpwm.org) where
users can login keep there .stumpwmrc files, patches etc. One single
source for all stumpwm related issues, hacks, plugins etc.

[0] http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

--
,----
`----