Re: [STUMP] vertical mode-line?

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] vertical mode-line?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:01:28 -0500

Hi Jim,

I'm not aware of this feature.  The issue being with how primitive the
modeline is.  Its just a special window that handles a string that can
be formatted various ways.  It shouldn't be too hard to get the
mode-line on the bottom of the screen, but it would probably take some
effort to get it on the side.  Currently the string just runs off the
end of the modeline if its too wide, so getting the mode-line to appear
in the right part of the screen is only half the battle, the second half
is getting it to display something useful.

I would really like to make the mode-line more useful, but my ideas
require tearing it down and building it back up. I'm not the first
person to attempt it either.  Most efforts have stagnated and been lost
to time.

Cheers,

    Dave