Re: [swarm-hackers] That CDPATH issue

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] That CDPATH issue
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:04:20 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
I have no idea what that code was supposed to do, but I suspect it is redundant.
SHLIBPATH_VAR=`./libtool --config | $SED -n 's/^shlibpath_var=\(.*\)/ \1/p'`

It is a way to determine which environment variables (LD_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.) are appropriate for telling the dynamic linker where to find needed shared libraries. The javaswarm script gets extracted with these paths and the directive (as above), so that when it needs to load Swarm, Tcl, etc. from Java, those paths are known and evident.

Another way to do this is by embedding the path into the shared library itself. That can work fine on Linux, but on other systems like the Mac and HPUX, a way is to configure a containing environment with the right context. That's what the javaswarm script does. That being said, in the long run, the javaswarm script probably did more harm than good because it made it less obvious that Java/Swarm is nothing more than shared libraries and a jar file. It was only intended as a convenience.