Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:34:19 -0700

On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

As I intend to do a final? X11, fat Leopard build as a framework, I would like to be really clear about the file layout you propose. So we can not confuse the users with two different hierarchies.

Mine looks like this:

Swarm.framework  /    Versions       /      2.2???   /
/ Swarm # symlink to Versions/Current/lib/libswarm.dylib / Headers # symlink to Versions/Current/Headers / PrivateHeaders # symlink to Versions/Current/PrivateHeaders / Resources # symlink to Versions/Current/Resources / Current # symlink to 2.2 / bin # contains swarm executables (symlinked from /usr/local?) / etc # as per standard Swarm / include # contains swarm headers in conventional layout / info # as per standard Swarm / lib # contains Swarm libraries with UNIX names libswarm.dylib etc / info # as per standard Swarm / Headers # symlinks at top level to public headers in include / PrivateHeaders # symlinks at top level to private headers in include / Resources # Apple localisation stuff

This sort of layout is easy to build, compatible with makefile build methods and usable in Xcode drag and drop style. The existing configure machinery will do the right stuff in the Makefiles.

Ok, I see how that works now. Though I guess you still need a -I flag to get the include path, you cannot just add the framework to Xcode and it works automatically?

Here is what the framework looks like when Xcode constructs it:

Swarm.framework/
        Headers -> Versions/Current/Headers
        Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources
        Swarm -> Versions/Current/Swarm
        Versions
                        Headers
                        Resources
                                English.lproj
                        Swarm
                Current -> A

Thought: Do we have any architecture dependent headers?? Yes right now. Will we have them in the new build Scott is doing? If so, how do we arrange them?

Currently I don't think these are needed on Mac, I let the system libraries handle the different architectures.

Scott