Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] header directory structure
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:56:38 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:
I would be very unhappy about this. I think one needs some extraordinarily compelling reason to make a change that would break almost every file of existing Swarm library and model source code.
Even with Makefile.appl changes to keep code backward compatible on non-Mac Unix, there seems to be the implication that Mac-based models will follow new conventions, and apparently only to make XCode happy. Thus, models developed on Macs, seem to end up with interface changes that won't be compatible with existing conventions. Thus, there is an old implicitly obsolete way and a new Mac way, and all existing models fall into the former category. Did I get that right, and if so is there really no way to hook XCode Makefiles to use -I, etc. as Bill says?

I understand GUI things are a sticky problem, but at least it ought to be possible to keep BatchSwarm code working without modification. ?

Marcus