Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Swarm on MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:34:14 -0700

On Sep 18, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Scott Christley wrote:
OpenCL struck me as well, especially now that they have the on-the- fly compilation/linking/loading (I've been wanting this for years!).
I've been using the Snow Leopard implementation for a few months, and more recently the AMD/ATI 2.0 stream SDK. I agree the on-the- fly compilation is a real win, if for no other reason than to perfect loop unrolling. Both are LLVM-based but unfortunately there is no viable open-source answer.

Yeah I've been using CUDA so that I can push my code to Linux box, mmm 4 GTX 295's packed on a motherboard, sweetness :-D I heard Nvidia has released OpenCL for linux to its developers, not sure when a public release will happen though, nor whether it will be as tightly integrated as the Apple solution.

The on-the-fly compilation can produce CPU code too right? Do you know how it handles the name space? If you compile a function with an existing name, does it just fail or does it replace? So if you wanted to do genetic programming and produce actual code, would you have to uniquify functions names? There is the code bloat issue too if created lots of functions, but if they have an unload feature then that would work.