Re: [swarm-hackers] GNU sed

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] GNU sed
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 01:15:07 -0800

This code does not work. This is what I tried to say in my email on Saturday. I took your sed macro from the old aclibtool.m4, installed it into configure.in and tried it. It does *not* fail when GNU sed is *not* available.

I just tried the code you checked in as well, it also does not fail when GNU sed is not available. That's the whole point, we want configure to fail with a big error message, instead of picking the system sed and continuing on.

OR.... does that mean that the sed for OSX 10.6 is newer and capable, and thus we don't need GNU sed anymore??? I assume not because Nima was able to reproduce Alex's problem and he is running Snow Leopard.

I don't think your macro does anything different than the standard AC_PROG_SED.

If you have GNU sed already installed, and you want configure to find it, that's easy, just make sure the path is ahead of the system path

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH