Re: [swarm-hackers] GNU sed

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] GNU sed
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:42:52 +1100

On 23/11/2009, at 8:15 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> This code does not work.  This is what I tried to say in my email on
> Saturday.  I took your sed macro from the old aclibtool.m4, installed it into
> configure.in and tried it.  It does *not* fail when GNU sed is *not*
> available.
>
> I just tried the code you checked in as well, it also does not fail when GNU
> sed is not available.  That's the whole point, we want configure to fail with
> a big error message, instead of picking the system sed and continuing on.

I did not say it would fail if GNU sed was not available, just that if both GNU
and some other sed were installed, it would select the right one.

I will hack it up so it fails.  It will only take a couple minutes.

> OR....  does that mean that the sed for OSX 10.6 is newer and capable, and
> thus we don't need GNU sed anymore???  I assume not because Nima was able to
> reproduce Alex's problem and he is running Snow Leopard.

No, you need GNU sed.

> I don't think your macro does anything different than the standard
> AC_PROG_SED.

Superficially it looks the same bar a bit of refactoring, but it fails to find
GNU sed when both are installed.  I have thoroughly tested this yesterday.

> If you have GNU sed already installed, and you want configure to find it,
> that's easy, just make sure the path is ahead of the system path
>
> export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

I don't want to force people to do that, because it promotes everything in
/usr/local/bin to the head of the queue and it is not necessary.
Your path at configure time needs to include /usr/local/bin but not up front.
macosx/configure.sh works.

Cheers
Bill