RE: Compare Swarm with Repast

From: Marshall, James A R
Subject: RE: Compare Swarm with Repast
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:55:09 +0100

  I'm a bit confused about your assertion that Java doesn't support
polymorphism. It certainly
does, which is understandable as this is the cornerstone of object-oriented
programming.
Perhaps one difference is that in your Objective C implementation with
message passing it is
not necessary to have all the agents that respond to common messages
(functions) inheriting from a base
class that declares these messages (functions), whereas in Java that would
be necessary.
  As for my experience, having started out with Swarm in Objective-C before
the Java interface
was built, and recently moving over to Java, I think the advantages of Java
are primarily that it is
better supported with better learning resources, IDEs, CASE tools, etc.
Having made the switch I'm
quite happy...
        James

---
Dr James A R Marshall
Container World Project - http://www.ese.ic.ac.uk/research/containerworld/
Department of Earth Sciences and Engineering, Imperial College, London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7594 7493